Thursday, May 10, 2012

Re: Mad Cow - Mad USDA

     While perusing the Perusing Government blog, I came across a blog post titled Mad Cow - Mad USDA and it piqued my interest.  Why would the blog writer claim the USDA to be mad when the USDA has been set up with our tax dollars to safeguard our agriculture?

      The blog writer in a concise and expert fashion, delineated what the Mad Cow disease is.  The post carries on stating that the cause of the Mad Cow disease is actually the cattle feed that is given to the cows to consume.  The cattle feed prior to 2004 included spinal cord and brains from younger cows, plate waste (restaurant scraps), poultry litter, and cow and pig blood.  As of 2004, spinal cords and brains from younger cows were banned as an ingredient for cattle feed.  However, cattle feed given to cows today can include plate waste (restaurant scraps), poultry litter, and cow and pig blood, which I don't know about you, sends a chill down my back. 

     The blog writer than concludes with the following:

Not only do I feel betrayed by the government departments created to protect me, I am completely and utterly disgusted to learn what all goes into the meat Americans consume on a daily basis.  Our safest course is to eat organic or 100% grass-fed cattle.  Better yet, shop at your local farms to market!  Hopefully, Americans will educate themselves and spend the extra money for good quality beef.  This would cause the meat industry to start making healthier choices on how they process the cattle.  Once that day comes; we would no longer have to worry about mad cow disease.

     Boy, am I glad I educated myself on this topic and I must admit I share the same feelings of betrayal and disgust.  I cannot believe that I was naive enough to believe that such a prominent organization like the USDA would allow such nauseating and disgusting ingredients in cattle feed. I am seriously looking into going organic or at least natural.  I feel highly indebted to the blog writer for opening my eyes and potentially saving me from insanity.

No comments: